Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happiness

Tonight, I had the house to myself as Cory attended his "guy's poker night" with friends. So, while he was away, I was doing some work on my laptop and iTunes was playing on random shuffle. I have a huge collection of music on my laptop (as I'm sure everyone else does!) and for some reason, iTunes decided to play me 3 songs in a row by Steve Tyrell. I love his music and until tonight, I've not listened to him for a long while. He covers a lot of jazz standards and his gravely voice just makes you melt and relax as you listen. I tend to listen to music based on the seasons...weird, I know, but I like to listen to my jazzy & standards artists during the fall time, not so much during the summer, which I usually reserve for oldies (yes, I'm a hopeless oldies fan, I blame my parents!). So, back to Steve. He sings a song called "Give me the simple life" which some of you may remember as a song featured on the movie "Father of the Bride"...well, I really love the lyrics of this song, so I decided to share them with you.

~Folks are blessed who make the best of everyday, living by their own philosophy, everyone beneath the sun must find a way, and I have found the only way for me...I don't believe in frettin' and grievin', why mess around with strife? I never was cut out to step and strut out. Give me the simple life.
Some find it pleasant dining on pheasant, those things roll off my knife, just serve me tomatoes and mashed potatoes, give me the simple life. A cottage small is all I'm after, not one that's spacious and wide. A house that rings with joy and laughter, with the ones you love inside. Some like the high road, I like the low road, free from the care and strife. Sounds corny and seedy, but yes, indeed'y give me the simple life.~

Now, as much as I may try, I don't think I'll ever be able to truly lead "the simple life" he is singing about. I tend to worry, a lot. I'm anxious...terribly anxious. And I hold on to my grief. However, despite my shortcomings, every time I hear this song, I'm inspired anew to simplify my life and focus on all the happiness around me. Happiness in my husband's laughter & smile, happiness in time spent with dear friends, the hidden happiness of trying something new and anticipating future happiness of becoming a mom and holding our first baby. So, if you're reading this, I hope that you are inspired to think about what makes you happy and that you realize no matter what worries, anxieties or grief you may have at this moment, that there is so much to be happy about.

No comments: