Friday, July 24, 2009

Early AM update for July 24th

Good morning everyone :) It's Julie posting - it's about 3:30am right now early Friday morning, Cory is at home sleeping (poor daddy needed some GOOD rest - so mommy sent him home to sleep) and I just got up to potty by myself (yay!) and it's almost time for my RN to check me again, so I figured it would be a good time to post an update. Here's the latest:
  • Owen was just weighed and is currently 6lbs4oz, so just one ounce down from his birth weight.
  • He's been loving his paci, which his RN's are happy about b/c at first after delivery he really didn't want to have much to do with sucking.
  • He's had a few episodes of lower temps these last 24hrs, but responds well to swaddling & being under the warmer - his neonatologist has reassured us that this is a "normal" issue and other than watching it, they're not that concerned.
  • He's been feeding SO well! In fact, his suck/swallow reflex has gotten to the point where it barely takes him a few minutes to gulp down half of his feeding! Because of this, we've been have a bit of an issue with spitting up during burping, so we're going to keep working on this today.
  • Owen's grandma & grandpa White were able to meet him yesterday evening :) He was very cuddly and alert during their visit and we have some good photos to share.
  • I'm doing better & better every few hours...I'm getting up and out of bed on my own (slowly, but doing it!), I'm going potty without any problems, I get to take a much coveted shower this AM (yay!), and I'm so close to passing a bit of gas (which is a key part in surgical recovery).
  • I've been tolerating all my oral fluids and a very small & bland diet well. All my pain is controlled fairly well with just oral pain meds too!
  • Just like most new mommas (I'm sure), I had a really hard time getting to sleep up until last night - there was just so much going on that it was hard for me to relax enough & feel comfortable allowing myself to sleep.....well, I went to sleep at about 10p last night and I've slept until about 3am, where I had to get up and go potty, ha! My RN will be coming in at 4a, so in about 20min for my next check, so after that I'm going to try and get back to sleep for awhile.
  • So, the plan for today is a shower for mommy, a blood draw early this AM to re-check my liver enzymes (that were elevated just before delivery from the Pre-Eclampsia) and a CBC, work on doing some more walking (which will hopefully help me to start passing gas), work on doing some more sleeping (to try and catch up, ha!) and hopefully seeing some visitors!
Here are some pics from yesterday's visit with Owen's Grandma & Grandpa White:

5 comments:

Me said...

I'd love to come visit this evening after work, are you at St. V Women's? What room?

D said...

First of all, I am so totally impressed at how quickly you were up and about. You would not believe some of the moms I see in the NICU after their csections. Way to go! I am actually surprised Owen is having temp issues -- at his weight, he should be fine with holding his own temperature. Keep his hat on and his arms tucked! :) Does the nursery have a slow flow nipple to try with him? That might help with the gulping. It is a common problems with babies born a little early.

Keep up the fabulous work!
D

Anonymous said...

He is so beautiful! Jules, he looks just like you!hicif

Crysbena said...

OMG...adorable!!

Katie said...

He is so cute Julie! I'm glad that things are going well. You seem to be recovering great!