Hi everyone :) It's just about 4:30am on Saturday and I wanted to share some updates on Owen and I...
- Owen continues to do wonderfully. His weight this morning was 6lbs & 2.5 oz, so he's down 2.5oz from birth but the neonatologist has reassured us that this is fine. He's doing so much better with his feedings now that we're using the slow flow nipple & burping him more frequently during the feeding - he's been eating about every 3hrs and taking between 25mL-35mL. His stools have transitioned from meconium to more of a seedy appearance, and I've lost count of how many wet diapers he has had...but we know all his plumbing works well! His CCN nurse rechecked a transcutaneous bilirubin level and it was normal at 7.4, which is just a tiny increase from what it was 24hrs ago. He also had his newborn screening test done earlier this AM since he's over 48hrs old now - this is a test that every newborn has done to screen for certain metabolic & genetic conditions.
- Yesterday afternoon, one of the hospital chaplains came by to visit and offered to perform a blessing on Owen. It was such a beautiful moment, the three of us surrounded Owen, held hands and the chaplain said such a heart-warming prayer for Owen, Cory and I. I wish we would have recorded it, but I'll remember that moment forever :)
- Today, he'll have his circumcision done, so we'll give him some Tylenol before & after the procedure and lots of love & cuddling. He also needs to have his hearing screen repeated - and if he doesn't pass this one, we've been reassured that not only does it happen frequently but that we'll do some further testing as an outpatient down the road. And the last thing that will get done today will be his car seat study - this is where his CCN nurse will put Owen in his car seat, strap him in and then monitor his vitals for a certain period of time just to make sure that the car seat doesn't impair his breathing or circulation.
- I'm doing well :) I continue to need my pains meds about ever 4-5hrs, but I'm up and about frequently during the day. I love going for walks up & down the hallways, sitting in the rocking chair in our room and just standing & swaying to loosen up my stiff hip muscles. I had a nice long shower yesterday and an amazing massage therapy session (which is provided by the hospital at no charge!). I've been tolerating a "light" diet well, nothing super sugary, no fatty meats or greasy foods. So far my favorites have been a toasted bagel with peanut butter, bananas, angel food cake, turkey sandwiches and ice cold lemonade! I'm going potty without any problems and my bleeding is lighter than a period - which is very reassuring. And what's most exciting is that I'm passing gas without any pain or problems! (Sorry if that's TMI, but it's a huge milestone after abdominal surgery).
- My momma is coming back down to Indy this morning to stay overnight with us - I'm so excited for her to get to spend some more time with her new grand-baby, and I'm very happy to be getting time with my momma too :)
- Since Owen and I are doing so well, we're totally up for visitors today - so if you're reading this and would like to stop by to meet little Owen, just give us a call before heading over to the hospital :)
2 comments:
Don't worry about Owen's weight, Julie. It's normal for him to lose up to the first 5-7 days. Remember he has to lose some fluid from delivery too -- just like you!
I guess the one benefit of a csection is the decreased bleeding -- I always said I would hate to have a csection, but that would be the one plus!
Can I stop by this afternoon for a few hours? (j/k) Much love to all three of you. And tell your Mom I say hello.
Love, Dawn
Julie and Cory, I am so happy for you both that Owen is finally here! I can't wait to meet adorable little Owen, hopefully in the next month. Again, congratulations to both of you! I love you, Kara
Post a Comment