Okay so if you've read the title to this post then you're most likely saying "WTF! The Alberts are moving to NY? When did this happen?" Well, you've not missed out on some big elaborate plan I promise. To put it plain and simple it is a pure example of serendipity and FAITH.
About a month ago while we were on vacation in NY, Cory's sister (Sara) was telling him that for his birthday (which had just passed) she found him a job opening in Rochester (his hometown). We all laughed and joked about it (his family has been trying to get us to move to NY ever since we had Owen). Later that night, curiosity got the best of Cory and he decided to look up information about the company. After reading about them he became very interested in learning more. So, on a whim he calls up the owner, they talk, and he gets offered an interview/meeting. Again, more laughing because we seriously only have shorts, tee-shirts and flip flops with us! The next day, Cory meets with the owner and despite his doubt ends up being very interested!
While all this is going on for Cory, I felt certain that there would be ZERO openings for me as a women's health nurse practitioner. So, to prove to Cory that I was right (because even here in Indy where we have FOUR major health care systems, WHNP jobs are a bit of a rarity) I go to the website of one of the Rochester health care systems. As soon as I get to the open positions page I literally yell out "OMG" because right there on the first page is a listing for a full time WHNP position. We both look at each other and start laughing again because when does something like this ever happen?
Just like Cory, I called up the hospital, told them that I would be interested in hearing more about the position and get offered an interview. In all honesty, I went into the interview half-heatedly...partly out of disbelief that it would turn into anything but also because I'm thinking that our life is back in Indiana, so why am I interviewing for a job in New York? The interview went A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! When I left, I felt like this could be a place where I could work...and that's saying a lot because I love my current job so much. That afternoon, they call me back for a 2nd interview with the hospital OB-Gyn chief...again, more laughing because at this point we're in disbelief, when does this happen!?! The 2nd interview went well - the physician even wanted to meet Cory.
After all of this happens, we sit down and have a heart to heart with Cory's parents about the situation. They graciously & selflessly offer to let the kids and I live with them (should we decide to move) until our house in Indiana would sell and until we found a home in Rochester. His parents just moved into a new home about a year ago and their new home has enough rooms where each of the kids & Cory and I would have our own bedroom. Everything was still hypothetical at this point because no one had a job offer and we're still thinking is this something we're ready to do?
On our drive back home to Indiana I get a phone call from the hospital - I'm offered the job. I had to stop myself from saying "are you kidding me" over the phone to the practice manager! Once we're home, Cory gets asked to have a 2nd interview - which goes well and again leaves him excited for the possibility of working with them. Another phone call about a week later and Cory gets offered the job! Now we've gone and done it - this is getting serious.
There you have the serendipity - job offers when we weren't looking and a home to stay in while we sell ours. Now for the FAITH...

We only have a hand full of days to give our answer about accepting the positions. We talked, prayed, talked, made lists, spoke with Realtors, looked over finances, talked, prayed and then came to the ultimate decision that we're going to do it! Holy smokes, this means we decided to accept the job offers, pack up our entire house, move across 3 states and make New York our new home! We both spoke with our employers and while they were sad to see us leave, they were all very supportive and happy for us. We don't have an official move date yet but it will be sometime in the end of September or beginning of October.
For Cory it means going back home. He'll be with his entire family again and back to where he grew up. For me, it means leaving my parents & grandparents back here in Indiana. While we don't live in the same town anymore it's still very bittersweet to be moving away from my "home" state and the ability to just jump in the van and drive 2hrs north to see everyone. I've always been the kid who stayed close to home since my brother & sister are military. But for us as a family it means a fantastic adventure, 2 new & exciting jobs, and a chance to live in a beautiful part of our country...come on, who can argue with being 10min away from Lake Ontario! We feel an amazing peace about this decision and both have faith that this is the right one for our little family of four.
Here's where we are now:
About a month ago while we were on vacation in NY, Cory's sister (Sara) was telling him that for his birthday (which had just passed) she found him a job opening in Rochester (his hometown). We all laughed and joked about it (his family has been trying to get us to move to NY ever since we had Owen). Later that night, curiosity got the best of Cory and he decided to look up information about the company. After reading about them he became very interested in learning more. So, on a whim he calls up the owner, they talk, and he gets offered an interview/meeting. Again, more laughing because we seriously only have shorts, tee-shirts and flip flops with us! The next day, Cory meets with the owner and despite his doubt ends up being very interested!
While all this is going on for Cory, I felt certain that there would be ZERO openings for me as a women's health nurse practitioner. So, to prove to Cory that I was right (because even here in Indy where we have FOUR major health care systems, WHNP jobs are a bit of a rarity) I go to the website of one of the Rochester health care systems. As soon as I get to the open positions page I literally yell out "OMG" because right there on the first page is a listing for a full time WHNP position. We both look at each other and start laughing again because when does something like this ever happen?
Just like Cory, I called up the hospital, told them that I would be interested in hearing more about the position and get offered an interview. In all honesty, I went into the interview half-heatedly...partly out of disbelief that it would turn into anything but also because I'm thinking that our life is back in Indiana, so why am I interviewing for a job in New York? The interview went A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! When I left, I felt like this could be a place where I could work...and that's saying a lot because I love my current job so much. That afternoon, they call me back for a 2nd interview with the hospital OB-Gyn chief...again, more laughing because at this point we're in disbelief, when does this happen!?! The 2nd interview went well - the physician even wanted to meet Cory.
After all of this happens, we sit down and have a heart to heart with Cory's parents about the situation. They graciously & selflessly offer to let the kids and I live with them (should we decide to move) until our house in Indiana would sell and until we found a home in Rochester. His parents just moved into a new home about a year ago and their new home has enough rooms where each of the kids & Cory and I would have our own bedroom. Everything was still hypothetical at this point because no one had a job offer and we're still thinking is this something we're ready to do?
On our drive back home to Indiana I get a phone call from the hospital - I'm offered the job. I had to stop myself from saying "are you kidding me" over the phone to the practice manager! Once we're home, Cory gets asked to have a 2nd interview - which goes well and again leaves him excited for the possibility of working with them. Another phone call about a week later and Cory gets offered the job! Now we've gone and done it - this is getting serious.
There you have the serendipity - job offers when we weren't looking and a home to stay in while we sell ours. Now for the FAITH...
We only have a hand full of days to give our answer about accepting the positions. We talked, prayed, talked, made lists, spoke with Realtors, looked over finances, talked, prayed and then came to the ultimate decision that we're going to do it! Holy smokes, this means we decided to accept the job offers, pack up our entire house, move across 3 states and make New York our new home! We both spoke with our employers and while they were sad to see us leave, they were all very supportive and happy for us. We don't have an official move date yet but it will be sometime in the end of September or beginning of October.
For Cory it means going back home. He'll be with his entire family again and back to where he grew up. For me, it means leaving my parents & grandparents back here in Indiana. While we don't live in the same town anymore it's still very bittersweet to be moving away from my "home" state and the ability to just jump in the van and drive 2hrs north to see everyone. I've always been the kid who stayed close to home since my brother & sister are military. But for us as a family it means a fantastic adventure, 2 new & exciting jobs, and a chance to live in a beautiful part of our country...come on, who can argue with being 10min away from Lake Ontario! We feel an amazing peace about this decision and both have faith that this is the right one for our little family of four.
Here's where we are now:
- We have a storage unit in Indy that we're using to de-clutter the house to be able to get it ready to list & show. Our realtor lives in our neighborhood and sells SO many of the homes in Centennial.
- I'm in the process of my New York state credentialing and once that is finalized, I'll be able to have an official start date.
- Cory will begin to work for his new company remotely (from his laptop here in Indy) in a few more weeks and once we move to NY he'll start at his office.
- We've packed 8 whole boxes so far (a drop in the bucket, right!) - we're numbering each box and then keeping a log book of what is in each one to try and stay as organized as possible.
- Owen & Eleanor have a NY peds already & records are being transferred.
- Cory's mom is going to watch the kids 2 days/wk and Cory's cousin Matt (who has 2 little boys) is going to watch the kids the other 3 days/wk.
3 comments:
Congrats to you, Cory, Owen and Ella! I am so glad that I got to meet you when I was in Indiana in June before you set forth on your grand adventure in NY! My dad has some cousins in Rochester so if we ever make our way out there I will most definitely be giving you a call! And if you ever want to escape the NY winters, you have a place to stay in CA!
Wow, congratulations Julie and Cory! I had heard a little bit about what was going on, but was still a little confused. Now after reading about it, I'm so excited for you guys :) sounds like some amazing opportunities!
wild! Well I'm glad I got to meet you a couple times and informed me of all the wonderful things Indy has to offer :)
Post a Comment