Sunday, May 13, 2007

Prognosis is finally good...

Onset- On Saturday 5/5 I felt myself coming down with "something". I wasn't sure what it was yet, all I could feel was that my ears were hurting and my sinuses felt stuffy. I went to the CVS minute clinic and saw a FHNP who told me to just stick with OTC meds because "everything looked okay". On Sunday, my chest was hurting as if I had been coughing for days, I had severe sinus and nasal congestion and a low grade temp, despite my OTC meds & rest. On Monday, I called in sick to work and saw my PCP. Cory stayed home with me in the AM because I was coughing violently and having severe chest pain with each cough and deep breath.

On 5/7 here's what Dr. House said:
Diagnosis- Bronchitis with acute costochondritis (inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum).
Treatment- Azithromycin (Z-pack), Aleve BID and Codiclear cough syrup.
Therapy- Off work for 2 days and plenty of rest.

So, I rested at home on Monday and Tuesday, took my meds and was expecting to get better pretty quick. Things did not turn out that way. I had to go to class on Wednesday, it was the first class of the summer semester and lasted from 9am-5pm, since this is an accelerated course there is no option to miss a class. I went to work on Thursday despite my better judgment. By the end of the day, I was coughing just as badly as I was earlier in the week, had chest pain that was just as severe and extreme fatigue was setting in. I went to work Friday AM determined to make it through the day and not inconvenience my office with my absence only to find that I was feeling worse. I called Dr. House and he wanted me back in his office that morning. I saw him at 11am and he's what he said:

Tests- Chest X-ray reveled worsening bronchitis with potential to turn into pneumonia.
Diagnosis- Severe bronchitis with potential to turn into pneumonia, acute onset of wheezing and prolonged costochondritis.
Treatment- Second round of antibiotic, Avelox, Albuterol MDI 2 puffs q 4-6hrs PRN, Medrol dose pack x 6days and codiclear cough syrup q 4hrs.
Therapy- He did NOT let me go back to work on Friday, infact he faxed a letter to my office stating these recommendations. Continued rest and PO hydration.
Current Prognosis- much improved! I have no more nasal or sinus congestion, occasional wheezing which is controlled with the albuterol and slowly diminishing cough. I've had two good nights of rest with plenty of napping during the day. Despite being sick, I completed all my homework on time for the two classes I'm taking this summer (physical assessment and computers & technology in nursing education), which was a huge accomplishment.

I want to say thank-you to Cory and Crista. My dear husband Cory has been such a wonderful support during the last week. While taking care of me he also took care of all the household chores, cooking and cleaning. He did all he could to make sure I was comfortable and cared for. My dear friend Crista kept me laughing, emailed me almost everyday and checked in on me frequently. You two made being sick as tolerable as possible....thank you :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No problem! You always take care of me when I'm sick or sad...happy to return the favor! Even more happy that you are getting back to normal. Have fun in NY!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better, sweetie! Brochitis is the pits and yours sounds much worse than that!!! Love ya! ~Dawn