Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's that time of year again...

So here we are at the start of another NFL season. And although I am a Colts fan, I'm a Bills fan first. It seems that you can't really stop being a fan of your home team from when you were growing up. There are times when I wonder, why do I still care about them? For the past 8 years, they've failed to make the playoffs. There have been so many maddening losses and idiotic plays... Heck, they're only one of 3 teams not to make the playoffs this decade. It's tough to be a fan.

Julie learned of this first hand this past year. The Bills hosted a Monday night game, which was the first in a long, long while, against Dallas. Despite intercepting the Cowboys 6 times that night, the Cowboys were still in a position to win the game at the end. All they had to do was score a touchdown, recover an onside kick, and kick a field goal in the last minute or so. That's a pretty tall order, but I told my wife the Bills were going to lose the game. She thought I was crazy. And what do you know, Dallas got a touchdown, recovered the onside kick, and kicked the field goal(twice - the first one didn't happen due to a late timeout call). She stood there in disbelief. I was so mad that night that I don't think I fell asleep until 3am.

I did a lot of soul searching that week with respect to the team. After a while, I came back around. I mean, I've bee a fan through 4 Super Bowl losses, the "Music City Miracle", the Flutie/Johnson debacle, the "playoff play in" game when they lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers, plus countless other disappointments, why would this one game be the straw the broke the camel's back? Believe it or not, they got to 7-6 and in position for a playoff spot. They lost their last 3 games, but hey, what can you expect? :)

So here we are again at another season, where hope springs eternal. They picked up a couple of players and there's talk of playoffs again. I'll believe it when I see it. If they disappoint, that's okay, it has to turn around eventually, sometime, right? :) That's what I keep telling myself. Until then, there's always the Colts...

1 comment:

Kristin (kekis) said...

Sorry, Cory, but I'm a Dallas fan. :) Like you with the Bills, I've been through the Landry firing, all the arrests, price-gouging, coaching changes, scandals, Super Bowls, and broken seasons.

I'll still invite you to put on the silver star and root for the Boys with me though. :)