Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Being On-Call

There's nothing like trying to go to sleep (and stay asleep) when you're waiting for the phone to ring any minute to say that the hospital needs you to come in. Over these last 2 weeks, I've had three nights of being on-call for the St. V's ER from 7p-7a. I've not been called in yet, but there's just something about having to tag your phone along with you, keep it next to the bed and try to forget that it's there - even though it's ready to wake you up at any moment-. One of the other NP's I work with keeps telling me that when I'm on call to just try to forget about it and go about life as usual (well sans traveling) because there's no need to just sit around and wait for it to ring. While I know she's right, I'm still getting used to the on-call lifestyle. For example, last night I had an IAFN meeting from 6p-9p, so I had to pack all my on-call gear in case the hospital called me while I was at the meeting, so in the back seat of my SUV I have my lab coat, name tag, scrubs and notes - it's just such so different than the typical -go to the office, put in my time and go home job-. However, it's always a great feeling when you do wake up in the AM, and realize that no one was sexually assaulted last night and that is why I was able to stay home....but only after I triple check my phone to make sure I didn't miss the hosptial's call! So, here's to being part of the on-call socieity!

No comments: