
I have so many thoughts running through my head after watching "The Story of Stuff" that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to really start this post. What is "The Story of Stuff" you ask? It's a 20 min video (link in the picture above) that takes you through the linear process of consumption. Annie, the video's guide, does a brilliant job with breaking this process down into easily understandable parts and is able to really illustrate the clear relationship between each step in the process.
Perhaps there is something about it being days away from the election and really (for once) feeling like we can make a REAL change in our nation, that make me particularly responsive to the message in this video. Not to say that I haven't thought about the consumer lifestyle and the impact it can have - but that's all they were to me, thoughts...and a feeling that we, as a nation, would be okay for at least my lifetime. How selfish & irresponsible is that?
For example - each month, I go to our Target Pharmacy to pick up monthly medication. And each month, they give me a new bottle for each medication. That bottle is composed of plastic, adhesive, paper and rubber - and even though my bottles from last month are still in perfect condition, I throw those out b/c I know I'll be getting a new one. Does anyone else find this TOTALLY wasteful? But I have this feeling that if I showed up at the pharmacy with my old bottles in hand to be refilled, I might get this strange look, like they'll just give me a new one anyway! Perhaps that could be a good experiment this month.
Now, like anything, change is gradual and over that time, change turns into habit, and habit turns into belief. So, I've decided to share some of the ways Cory and I are planning to implement change in OUR consumer process:
Perhaps there is something about it being days away from the election and really (for once) feeling like we can make a REAL change in our nation, that make me particularly responsive to the message in this video. Not to say that I haven't thought about the consumer lifestyle and the impact it can have - but that's all they were to me, thoughts...and a feeling that we, as a nation, would be okay for at least my lifetime. How selfish & irresponsible is that?
For example - each month, I go to our Target Pharmacy to pick up monthly medication. And each month, they give me a new bottle for each medication. That bottle is composed of plastic, adhesive, paper and rubber - and even though my bottles from last month are still in perfect condition, I throw those out b/c I know I'll be getting a new one. Does anyone else find this TOTALLY wasteful? But I have this feeling that if I showed up at the pharmacy with my old bottles in hand to be refilled, I might get this strange look, like they'll just give me a new one anyway! Perhaps that could be a good experiment this month.
Now, like anything, change is gradual and over that time, change turns into habit, and habit turns into belief. So, I've decided to share some of the ways Cory and I are planning to implement change in OUR consumer process:
- I am a book hoarder and tend to buy more books than I can read - so I want us to get our Hamilton County Library cards, so instead of buying, we can borrow.
- We will start recycling at home - we go through plenty of cans, paper and plastic that I seriously think it would impact the amount of trash we take out each week.
- I will change all my professional journal subscriptions to the electronic version, rather than continuing to get paper copies.
- Before buying something new, just to have something new, we will really think about if this is something we need.
This is what we've BEEN doing:
- We buy our milk straight from Oberwise & recycle the gallon glass jugs that it comes in.
- As much as possible, we digitally download music, games and videos - to prevent packaging waste.
- We use down comforters on our bed, cover up in blankets and wear sweatshirts to keep heating costs down.
- We've started to use our own reusable grocery/shopping bags.
- We use any store plastic bag again as a trash can liner.
- We use electrically rechargeable batteries at home and in our lawn care gadgets.
1 comment:
I'm always going to the library to reduce the need to buy books (plus it's cheaper). The Carmel library is pretty nice (just there today!) but you'll have to pay $30 to get the special card that lets you use all the libraries in the state. It's worth it though! Westfield's library has some good stuff too.
Also, I just read that we are getting a new trash service in Centennial that will include recycling for free! So before you shell out $ to Rays to be able to recycle, you might want to hold off.
Post a Comment