Sunday, January 18, 2009

List for baby

Cory and I spent a good chunk of today working in the "blue room" to go through all the stuff that we've been piling up in there since we moved in. We ended up taking out 3 boxes worth of things to pitch and 2 boxes of things to donate! Since we were spending time in what will become baby Albert's room, we started talking about all the baby stuff we'll need to get - and we are just blown away by the length of our list! We've already been cautioned by some of our friends who have kids about some popular baby things to avoid such as the diaper champ/genie and wipe warmers...so let us know if anything on our list below fits into this category as well!

Items needed for the room:
  • Crib
  • Crib bedding
  • Changing table
  • Changing table pad & cover
  • Rocker
  • Dresser
  • Curtains
  • Trash can
  • Wall decor/wall letters
  • Lamp
  • CD player
Items needed for baby:
  • Diapers (in multiple sizes)
  • Wipes
  • Baby care items
  • Bibs
  • Burp cloths
  • Blankets
  • Car Seat
  • Car seat cover for winter
  • Back seat mirror (to view baby while driving)
  • Stroller
  • Play yard
  • Bumbo seat
  • Booster chair for table feedings
  • Bottles
  • Baby food storage items
  • Sippy cups
  • Boppy
  • Breast pump
  • Clothes (onesies, shirts, pants, socks, hats, PJ's, shoes and Winter items)
  • Baby meds
  • Swing/bouncer
  • Carrier/sling
  • Diaper bag
  • Baby bath & bath items
  • Baby monitor

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on the Bump and wanted to mention that you may also consider the Homedics SoundSpa Lullaby Sound Machine. It has worked wonders for our baby and provided us with sleep!! Good Luck.

Sarah M said...

I thought I would just C&P your list and add my comments about what has worked for us.

Items needed for the room:

* Crib
* Crib bedding (if I was to do it again, I would buy separates and not get the 'set' - I'd buy a ruffle (because they are cute) and sheets.
* Changing table - mine has both drawers and shelves and it works great. We have onesies, bibs, pjs and changing pad covers in the drawers. Diapers in a basket on one shelf and on the other shelf in a basket we have vaseline, diaper rash cream, thermometer, therm covers, alcohol swabs and the loose socks (yes, you will lose them!)
* Changing table pad & cover - we have two covers and then about 5 absorbent lap pads
* Rocker - Love LOVE LOVE my best chairs glider and ottoman
* Dresser
* Curtains
* Trash can - we have a small simple human step can from Target
* Wall decor/wall letters
* Lamp
* CD player

Items needed for baby:

* Diapers (in multiple sizes) - don't get too many because you don't know what brand/size will work for you. We went thru 1 1/2 packs of NB pampers and then she grew out of them.
* Wipes
* Baby care items - I LOVE Aveeno diaper rash cream and the aveeno baby wash has worked really well for us.
* Bibs
* Burp cloths
* Blankets
* Car Seat
* Car seat cover for winter - We have the safeseat - and it has the bunting on the feet - then I just put a blanket around Avery
* Back seat mirror (to view baby while driving)
* Stroller
* Play yard
* Bumbo seat - Hold off on this unless you get one as a gift or for cheap (used). Some babies love them, others hate them. I see them on Craigslist all the time for $20 or less
* Booster chair for table feedings
* Bottles - maybe a few to have on hand, but you'll have to figure out what your baby likes - hopefully you'll be lucky like us and your baby will take anything
* Baby food storage items
* Sippy cups
* Boppy - LOVE This - I have 2!
* Breast pump - wait until after you have the baby to make sure BFing is working out. You can't return pumps if they are opened and you never know what might happen.
* Clothes (onesies, shirts, pants, socks, hats, PJ's, shoes and Winter items) - I wouldn't buy any baby clothes until after your shower(s). We have so many 0-3 month stuff that went unworn. I do love the Gerber brand onesies though.
* Baby meds - Infant Tylenol is the only thing you can give them for pain until they are 6 months old. Mylicon and Gripe water are good too ... I prefer Gripe Water for gas and tummy pains
* Swing/bouncer
* Carrier/sling - I would suggest waiting until after baby is born to test one out. BUt... I have the baby k'tan carrier/sling and I LOVE It! so does Avery!
* Diaper bag - I have two - the PBK Ultimate - I hate it and then the Target Skip Hop bag that I LOVE
* Baby bath & bath items - also get one of those baby bath sponges - we still use it in the baby tub after 3.5 months. Also - LOTS of little wash cloths!!! When Avery gets red at home, many times we'll use warm wash cloths instead of wipes and it seems to clear it up very quickly.
* Baby monitor
** Pacifier - we use the Soothie ones
** Nursing Bras - I love the bravado body silk ones - I bought 1 before the baby came and now I have 3 total
** Nursing tanks - I have 3 - they are great! I bought mine at Target and Wal-mart
** Lasinoh brand Lanolin - This will help soothe your nipples at the beginning stages of BFing. It is very painful the first week or so
** If you're planning on pumping, I prefer the Lasinoh brand storage bags versus Medela


hope this helps! ~sdkrlm

Anonymous said...

I also second the Homedics SoundSpa, or as it's called on the Trimester boards, the baby crack machine :)
Everything on your list is spot on. The Bumbo is great because they can start using it as soon as they have head control down.
You also can't go wrong with a playmat. We forgot about needing one and went out and got one because DS loves tummy time :)

Monica @ Writer Chic said...

Items needed for the room:

Crib
Crib bedding
Changing table - people will tell you this is unnecessary, but I say, if you have room for it, GET ONE!
Changing table pad & cover
Rocker - yes, yes, a million times, yes!
Dresser
Curtains
Trash can - we actually take the diapers directly to the kitchen trash. Keeps the nursery smelling fresh, and the kitchen trash fills up the quickest anyways.
Wall decor/wall letters
Lamp - we actually invested in a ceiling fan with a dimmer light. OMG! Best decision ever. We don't have a lamp in the nursery.
CD player - Target sells a wonderful one for about $50 that has a built-in nightlight. It is one of my must haves for the nursery.

Items needed for baby:

Diapers (in multiple sizes)
Wipes
Baby care items
Bibs - get less than you think you'll need, and you'll still have too many, I promise.
Burp cloths - get more than you think you'll need, and you'll still not have enough, I promise =) And get the THICK ones.
Blankets
Car Seat
Car seat cover for winter
Back seat mirror (to view baby while driving)
Stroller
Play yard - and sheets for it
Bumbo seat
Booster chair for table feedings
Bottles
Baby food storage items
Sippy cups
Boppy
Breast pump
Clothes (onesies, shirts, pants, socks, hats, PJ's, shoes and Winter items)
Baby meds
Swing/bouncer - I'd say one or the other, and my vote goes to the bouncy seat
Carrier/sling
Diaper bag
Baby bath & bath items
Baby monitor

Your list is very reasonable -- good girl! And I'm so happy for you.

Love, MrsMSG