I wish this was a post saying "Look at what we just got", but rather this post will be of me eating some of the words I once literally spewed with fiery passion! In my pre-child life, I said (often) that I would rather die than be caught driving a "Family Fun Wagon" aka - the mini van.
However, facing the inevitable lifestyle changes of being a family that will very soon have 2 children under 2 AND currently driving what feels like the world's smallest SUV, I've come to find out that I am seriously coveting a mini-van. Yes, read that one again....I want a freaking mini-van.
Let me put it to you this way, we could fit the 2 car seats in the back of my Escape, a stroller (which will have to be a double stroller), the diaper bag and perhaps one or two other bags in the far back and that would be pretty close to capacity. Oh and forget being able to sit in the back with the kids in case someone is having a meltdown...which frequently happens with Owen on long drives. Driving to NY to visit family would be a nightmare...even taking the short 2hr drive to Warsaw to see my family (and having to pack all the necessities for the kids and us) would be a mess.
So, while I know my husband refuses to ever have 2 car payments again, operation mini-van is in full swing. We certainly don't need a new one - in fact, both Cory and I will tell you that since we each purchased new vehicles while we were dating, the cost has not outweighed the benefit and I don't see us buying a new vehicle again...or at least for a long time.
We're learning that parenthood many times make you feel like you're "cool" card has been taken away, ha! It's more about practicality, efficiency, survival and making things as easy as possible...all of which I fully embrace! So, bring on the mini-van shopping........soon.......hopefully :)
However, facing the inevitable lifestyle changes of being a family that will very soon have 2 children under 2 AND currently driving what feels like the world's smallest SUV, I've come to find out that I am seriously coveting a mini-van. Yes, read that one again....I want a freaking mini-van.
Let me put it to you this way, we could fit the 2 car seats in the back of my Escape, a stroller (which will have to be a double stroller), the diaper bag and perhaps one or two other bags in the far back and that would be pretty close to capacity. Oh and forget being able to sit in the back with the kids in case someone is having a meltdown...which frequently happens with Owen on long drives. Driving to NY to visit family would be a nightmare...even taking the short 2hr drive to Warsaw to see my family (and having to pack all the necessities for the kids and us) would be a mess.
So, while I know my husband refuses to ever have 2 car payments again, operation mini-van is in full swing. We certainly don't need a new one - in fact, both Cory and I will tell you that since we each purchased new vehicles while we were dating, the cost has not outweighed the benefit and I don't see us buying a new vehicle again...or at least for a long time.
We're learning that parenthood many times make you feel like you're "cool" card has been taken away, ha! It's more about practicality, efficiency, survival and making things as easy as possible...all of which I fully embrace! So, bring on the mini-van shopping........soon.......hopefully :)
2 comments:
A bunch of the coolest people I know drive a Toyota Sienna. The commercials even call it the "Swagger Wagon." You can't help being cool in one of those. . .and I've driven Andrea's and it's pretty awesome. Maybe Dad will go looking with you guys this weekend. Good luck!
I too would love a minivan, just because I drive a VW Golf right now. All that space! You can get a used minivan for CHEAP! Then, maybe you can sell me your 'mini suv'. A girl can dream right?
Post a Comment