As most of you know, I'm closing in on my last year of Graduate study at IU in the Women's Health Nurse Practitioner program. Last year, I decided to also work on my Teaching certificate, which is the equivalent of an education minor. Well today, I received a very interesting email from IU...they are starting a Nursing Education Master's degree and they emailed me to let me know that I'm only 4-5 classes short of obtaining a duel Master's degree...my primary in WHNP and then a second Master's degree in Education! I'm still in shock & totally surprised!
One of my long term goals is having a career in Academia, and having this duel degree could really help in making me more marketable and prepared for this calling. Of course Cory and I are still in the information collecting phase of making this decision. Being in school for even another 6-8 months (to finish those 4-5 courses) could possibly change some of the *plans* we've made ;) But this might be the right time to take advantage of this amazing opportunity.
Just thought I would share!
4 comments:
I think you should do it. . .you will be more marketable, and you don't have kids yet, so it's a good time. Plus, if you ever move to NY :), you'll be in the right direction for any sort of teaching you might want to do with the Masters since it's a requirement for certification.
Let me know what you decide.
Love ya,
Sara
Julie,
I say that if you have the financial resources available you should totally go for it. Getting it done now before you have children will be much easier in the long run. Are you worried it will postpone your buying of a house? Would the classes be online or on campus? That would also be a deciding factor for me. (If I was in your shoes.) I am dreading the on campus cuz it means my social life is going to SUCK since I will have to work every weekend basically. :( Keep me posted on your thoughts of gets a dual degree!
Love ya! Good luck!
Dawn
That is cool! I guess I would find out:
A) exactly what these classes entail (ie - some ed classes are extremely light and you might be able to finish faster than expected)
B) is this something you have to do right now, or could you always come back to it in a year or two to finish it up?
Crista
GO FOR IT!! You are young and you have to be prepared for the rest of your life. AND you have the most supporting man behind you!!
Don & Karen Trame
Post a Comment