Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Mantleplace

Well, as most of you know, our house is still a work in progress! This is why I've not posted any pictures yet...I'll admit it, I'm a perfectionist and I want things to be totally done before pics make it to our blog. Anyone who has moved lately can surely commiserate how those few remaining projects just seem to linger. Finishing the garage two weeks ago was a huge accomplishment for us, we now have 4 rows of shelving, the utility sink, fridge and shoe racks all in place and well organized. My next project will be organizing our living room fireplace mantle and finding a home for all the "stuff" that has temporarily found a home there.

I bought these vintage styled frames for a little project involving wedding pictures.
Next time I'm home, I want to pick out a wedding picture of my parents and pictures from both sets of my grandparents from their wedding, and next time we're in New York, I want to pick out a wedding picture of Cory's parents to put in these frames. There is something so romantic and special about wedding pictures. Capturing the love between two people during one of their happiest days...



The white "A" in this picture has a funny story to it. My Dad sent it to me shortly after Cory and I became engaged. Dad always teased my sister and I that when we were married he wanted us to keep our maiden name of "White", so when I made it clear to him that I would be taking Cory's last name, he sent me an "A" to display, but he made note that the color of that "A" was White, and that's what I would always be to him...


This is my collection of Gone With the Wind music boxes. I'm not sure where they're going to end up yet... Growing up, my Grandmother White and I would watch this movie together, over and over. Every time I spent the night with them, we would watch it. Grandma and I would cry together as we recited most of the lines. She gave me book "Scarlett" which is the sequel to the original book and when it became a TV mini-series in the early 90's, we would watch it together each week. So, over the years Grandma would give me a new Gone With the Wind music box each Christmas and to this day, they are some of my most treasured things. However, on the night of our wedding rehearsal dinner, Cory surprised me by continuing the tradition of GWTW music boxes by giving me the Wedding Day Scarlett. Needless to say, both Grandma and I were crying when he did this :)



Once the mantle is finished we will begin the task of hanging up all our frames, photos and art pieces. Until then, they're stacked up nice and neat in the garage just waiting for their new home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is funny, my grandmother & I always used to watch GWTW together, my mother thought we were both crazy. But, to this day, I love that movie and watch every time it is on tv.